Sunday, August 28, 2011

Arbeit macht frei!

A couple of days ago was the day that I´ve been waiting for a long time. It was my last flight for my current employer. It was a short night flight to Karachi and back but it was still extremely hard to motivate myself for the flight. I even considered taking a sick day. That´s how tough it was to go to work. But as I´ve never taken a sick day without being sick I decided to stay professional until the end and go on the flight. The flight was uneventful and I stayed as professional as possible. No pranks with colleagues, no foul language towards the passengers. Even though I´ve said to myself many times that on my last day I will let it all out to any complaining and difficult passenger. Afterwards I was happy that I did the flight so that I could end this chapter in a good way. Now I´m spending the last week here arranging the last few things before moving back home beginning of September.


Will I miss my job? No not the job itself but the nice and funny people I got to work with is one of the few things I will miss. I will definitely not miss the flights departing at 3am and getting back at noon. I will though miss the discounted business class tickets.
Will I miss the country and the city? Yes I will miss wearing shorts and flip flops all year around. I will also miss the weather in winter which is close to a European summer. I can always come back on holiday but I will never move back. Never say never but yes I will still say never.

So what will I do next? Well the plan as for now is to do as little as possible for the next few months. If I get bored of doing “nothing” only then will I start thinking of what to do next in life. But as for now I need to catch up on all the sleep I missed on for the last 6 years.

So now for the first time in 6 years I can say that I feel completely free and I also feel happy for the first time in a very long time.


Some things from the last 6 years:

-Had two major food poisonings. One in Zürich and one in Luanda Angola.

-Witnessed one cardiac arrest

-One bird strike.
No there wasn´t a group of birds that went on a strike. If a bird flies into the engine it´s called a bird strike.

-Hundreds of passenger complaints but only a few good feedbacks from passengers

-I´ve done around 800 flights which make 800 take off´s and 800 landings.

-Visited places I would otherwise probably never have visited: Luanda Angola, Lagos Nigeria, Calcutta India, Accra Ghana, Tripoli Libya, Manila Philippines

-Crossed the North Pole once.

-Never had any very famous people onboard. Except for some Bollywood actors but they don´t count.

-Have learnt how to speak fluent Indian

-Spent hundreds of layover dinners with colleagues from over hundred different countries

-Spent several days off in bed or on the couch doing nothing

-Several sleepless nights due to the odd departure times

-Many many flight delays but only 2 cancellations

- Met a lot of annoying people. Started disliking many nationalities (including my own nationality) due to bad public behaviour.

-Got robbed by gunpoint


This is something that I listen to a lot lately..


No comments:

Post a Comment